Monday, May 16, 2011

Butterfly artwork in picture frame - Tutorial

Let the curtains rise!! [Drum roll please]
I was surfing around on one of the blogs on my blog roll - Blue Cricket Design and liked an idea where Becca uses a silhouette of birds across a range of products - to decorate a book cover, make a photo frame wall art and a canvas wall art. I was working on the bird canvas wall art when I decided to decorate the photo frame on my console table as a quick mini-project. So I chose some butterflies instead of birds.

I had this beautiful frame (gifted by a friend on Christmas some years back) and a very pretty Japanese scrapbook paper at home.


I googled for butterfly images and found some pretty ones.
via  


I traced the images from a print out onto card stock paper  which is thicker and used that to trace onto the Japanese scrapbook paper. You can draw freehand if you are those talented kinds ;) I used a couple of different sizes of butterflies.



I used a thin permanent black marker to outline the images and then a thicker black one to fill them in. Once all the butterflies were done I coloured them with the thick marker once again to even out the colour and give it a thicker sheen.

And here is how the frame looks like -





I love it after the makeover and it looks great on my console table :)

I am linking this to Weekend Wrap Up on Colours Dekor! Have a great week ahead.

Update - I am also linking this to Show and Tell Wednesdays on Blue Cricket Design.



10 comments:

  1. Loved this concept and ur frame is looking very nice now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks great thanks for sharing
    anandhirajan
    http://anandhirajansartsncrafts.blogspot.com/2011/05/scrapbooking.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! An idea so simple and yet so elegant! I bet non sketchers like me can do this too and I have all the material as well! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 it!!! Looks soo cool!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody!
    Divya - I agree the idea is so simple and easy to do. I am a non sketcher and tracing is a big help!! Go ahead and try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. seriuosly... wow is all i have to say.. beautiful lady! didnt know this side of u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swati!! :) I have this hidden dormant talented side I guess which comes up once in a while :) I think I am like Jack of all trades Master of none!

      Delete

What do you think? I would love to know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...