Friday, January 14, 2011

Renovation - Sofa

My mom has this old sofa which has been in the family for a very long time. Its been passed on from one generation to another.
Over the years the chocolate brown cover had faded to a dull and patchy brown. I decided to give the sofa a make over and hence bring a change to her living room.

This is how the sofa looked like before the makeover. It is a 3 + 2 seater and had arm rests on ends. I decided to get the arm rests from the 2 single seaters removed, this would make them look less bulky. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a picture with the arm rests. But at least you can see the before picture.
I love the intricately carved cupboard next to the sofa - have been eyeing it for quite some time now ;) This is also a family antique.


The 3 seater before the change - 


In the picture below - The cream fabric with a self design that I used to replace the plain brown. I checked a couple of high-end stores including Seasons for fabric but everything was so pricey (Rs 650 to 700 per metre). And I needed about 11 metres. Finally a shop in the local furniture market had this beautiful fabric at just Rs 220 per metre. Great deal I tell you and this is exactly what I was looking for.


The 3 seater is all done! Doesn't this look so royal and elegant? I love it!


The single seaters minus the arm rests.


And the best part is that the new look compliments the rest of the furniture in mom's living room perfectly. We even got 2 slip covers of the same fabric for the cushions on the Kashmiri settee (can be seen in the picture below on the left)


I loved doing this project. It was fun and am very pleased with the outcome.
What do you think?

19 comments:

  1. its amazin sim............i ve other loads of plan which we would be doin as discussed ..............luv u loads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous fabric! :) Totally elegant look after the makeover.. Gimme some tips for the decor of my new house plss. I love the furniture in ur home too. Do u have more pics of ur blore home? Or I could just drop by :D .. We stay just 2 streets away from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nim- Yes we will work on all those other ideas next time :)
    Shruti - Thanks! Lets meet. Will send an email. But don't raise ur expectations too high, we are still sort of settling down in terms of decorating the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simz - I've been wanted to up-holster my dining chairs for some time now. Just cant figure out how. all the sites I look up use glue guns or staple guns or some fancy tools, which i have no idea where/how to get in bangalore.

    Pray enlighten with details of how you actually did the up-holstery!? Please, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Richa - This was my mom's house in Chandigarh not Bangalore. Also I should have mentioned I got the change done by a tailor who specializes in upholstering stuff. He came home and changed the covers. So no credit to me for that :) But I am sure there are places like Floating Walls in Bangalore where people come home and change sofa covers etc. You might want to check with Floating Walls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!!!! I think you should venture into interior decoration ...lots awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for those kind words Parul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What. A. Transformation. Awesome work and what a way to spend vacation time! :)

    I'm drooling over the carved cupboard AND (to a lesser extent) the Kashmiri settee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Arundhati! It was sure fun doing the renovation and I have my eyes on that cupboard too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! Coolest renovation I have ever seen. Including ones on HGTV!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent blog. keep going!
    Feel free to surf my website ; canapé

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, will hop over soon :)

      Delete
  12. loved the way u have done this sim.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sim...........loved the new sofa........

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a sofa that needs renovation. I have no clue how to go about doing it. Are you into the business of doing renovations? If yes please call at 9972113177.

    Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOw this talent of yours ... love it love it

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I would love to know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...